TOURISM IN MAINE
• The state’s tourism office is funded by 5 percent of the 7 percent tax imposed on meals and lodging.
• The office seeks at least a $2 return in tax revenue on every $1 invested in tourism.
• The average amount of annual paid vacation for international visitors is 4-6 weeks.
• VisitMaine.com, the state’s tourism website, lists top attractions of: dramatic coastline and sandy beaches; more than 3,000 lakes, ponds and rivers; 64 lighthouses; four national scenic byways; distinctive small towns; and the city of Portland as a “top 100 food destination.”
• Most of the tourism’s office’s international marketing is handled through a consortium of states called Discover New England.
• The top international markets for Maine, in order, are Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland, France, Italy and the Netherlands.
Source: Maine Office of Tourism