From the Story:
Mariners should prepare every trip on the water by doing the following:
• File a float plan with a friend or relative, telling them where you’re going and when you plan to return.
• Check the weather forecast.
• Ensure there is a working radio on board.
• Ensure your flares aren’t expired.
• Ensure everyone on board is wearing a properly fitted Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device.
• Ensure the boat plug is in place before launching.
For more Coast Guard information, go to www.piersystem.com/go/doc/778/458671.