From the Bangor Daily News, Mainers are reminded to:
• Monitor weather forecasts closely for expected conditions in your area.
• Stay clear of flooded roadways. Respect all barricades, and report flooded areas to local officials.
• Use extreme care driving in wintry conditions. Stay off the roads if possible.
• If power goes out, use generators and alternate heat sources safely. Never run a generator in a basement or attached garage. Carbon monoxide poisoning may result.
• Continue to keep roofs clear of snow. Snowfall may be heavy and wet. Make sure heating system vents are clear to prevent carbon monoxide from backing up in the home.
• Protect outside oil tanks from snow and ice falling from the roof. Serious oil spills can result.
• Check on neighbors, family and friends who may need special assistance to clear snow and to weather the storm.